Seedstars World is back and bigger than ever! This June a selection of Cape Town startups have been invited to pitch in front of a local and international jury. The 5 best Cape Town teams will then be invited to Johannesburg on July 17th to compete against the best Johannesburg startups at the Grand Final for South Africa. Teams pitching at the grand final will be competing for a ticket to Geneva and a chance to win up to $1.5 million in investment.
The Cape Town leg of Seedstars World takes place at the Space Theatre at 22seven from 16h00 on 30 June 2015.
This event has been organised in partnership with Standard Bank, who will host the grand final in Johannesburg at their new incubator.
The selected Cape Town startups are:
1) Azimuth – Azimuth provides mining companies with frequent, accurate maps of unstable areas to minimise loss of life and damage to infrastructure.
2) Custos Media Technologies – Custos uses the Bitcoin blockchain to help media owners protect their content against piracy, by detecting the original infringer.
3) Gummie Travel – Curated marketplace for activities and adventures in South Africa.
4) Last Mile for BoP – Improving the last mile distribution of goods and services in townships and poor rural areas to foster social change and market opportunities.
5) Mintor – Mintor is the world’s first freelance platform where Small Businesses and Students help each other grow.
6) mySOS – mySOS is a free, lifesaving tool, for all South Africans, when “you don’t know who to call, don’t know where you are and really need help!”
7) Niche Streem – Build specialist music streaming services for passionate fans of niche music.
8) Push Money – Offer a mobile ordering application, security switch network with POS integration to afford a profitable mobile strategy for retailers.
9) Sense Lab – Make sense of gathered Earth data from networks of small satellites through a dynamic communications platform.
10) Tastemakers Africa – Tastemakers Africa (TSTMKRS) is a mobile app and content platform revolutionizing what the world thinks about travel to African destinations.
11) Red Fish – Need Home Improvement done? Post your job on RedFish.co.za get vetted and rated Tradesmen to respond to you, review and rate on job done.
Good luck to all the pitchers and we look forward to one of these Cape Town startups going all the way.