NMM is a Non Profit Company and Section 18A Public Benefit Organisation, and was formed following a forum of business leaders in 2015 at which they discussed how mentorship could assist to address South Africa’s massive unemployment problem and our poor entrepreneurial health. The forum accordingly mandated a team to introduce mentorship at scale to support entrepreneurs and others throughout the economy in order to create jobs and greater social cohesion.
Our vision is to create a sustainable nationwide mentorship programme across all economic sectors of the South African economy.
Our aspiration over the next two years is to connect 100,000 active mentors to 1 million mentees to groom future entrepreneurs, make confident and successful individuals, grow employment, transform the economy and increase social cohesion in order to create a sustainable future for South Africa.
Both international and local research evidences that effective mentorship is the most critical component of business or individual success, make a remarkable impact in any economy, especially in developing countries and has the potential to change South Africa forever.
WE ARE PROUD OF OUR SPONSORS AND SUPPORTERS:
- Standard Bank
- SA SME Fund
- Awethu Project
- BMF (Black Management Forum)
- IQ Business
WE HAVE AN ACTIVE AND COMMITTED BOARD* AND STEERING COMMITTEE
- Maurice Radebe*: Chairman NMM and Executive Vice President of Sasol Energy
- Paul Bacher*: joint NMM CEO, co-founder NetActive Ltd, Call Centre Nucleus and NetFlorist, founder OrtJet
- Dave Wilson*: joint NMM CEO, retired COO of Deloitte Consulting Africa
- Dr Taddy Blecher: Chair Govt task team on Entrepreneurship, Education & Job Creation. Founder CIDA City Campus and Maharishi Institute
- Adam Craker: CEO IQ Business
- Bonang Mohale: CEO Business Leadership SA (BLSA), former Chairman Shell Energy Pty (Ltd)
- Quinton Dicks: former CEO SA SME Fund
- Xolani Gwala: journalist, TV presenter
- Glen Lumley: MD EOH Digital
- Mzwanele Memani: Director: Programme Design, SA Ministry of Small Business Development
- Matsi Modise*: MD SiMODiSA
- Brett Morris: Group CEO, FCB Africa
- Yusuf Randera Rees: founder and CEO of Awethu Project
- Mncane Mthunzi: President of the BMF and executive at Massmart
- Jayshree Naidoo: former head Standard Bank Incubator
- Gidon Novick: founder Kulula.com, past CEO of Comair
- Nkateko Khoza*: independent NMM director, CEO Dzana Investments
FEEDBACK FROM PARTNERS, MENTEES AND POTENTIAL MENTORS
The following are extracts from the testimonials of some of our partners:
- Aspen Network for Development Entrepreneurs – Regional Chapter Manager SA Michelle Yorke “…We are confident that the NMM business model can help achieve the needed support for the youth that will have a robust impact at scale.”
- BUSA – Chief Executive Tanya Cohen
“… Not only will the mentor-mentee relationship provide a personal basis for social cohesion, but it also provides a valuable mechanism to promote employment, enable the transfer of individualised demand-led skills and support sustainable enterprise development …”
- EOH – Managing Director EOH Digital Glen Lumley
“The program has the potential to contribute significantly to solving the unemployment crisis and changing lives for generations to come, while at the same time building bridges between people of different cultures and economic backgrounds.”
- FCB Africa – Group Chief Executive Brett Morris
“We believe that the NMM has shown how their model can fundamentally improve the economy of South Africa by tapping into the knowledge of successful South African business leaders and entrepreneurs.”
- IQ Business – Chief Executive Officer Adam Craker
“The National Mentorship Movement provides the opportunity to harness the exceptional business skills and experience we have in our country to support the development of SMMEs – to create economic growth through self-employment, entrepreneurialism and business development.”
- Khulisa Social Solutions – Managing Director Lesley Ann van Selm
“Khulisa … believe that their strategic approach in enhancing educational prospects for the youth of South Africa will result in profound impact on the lives of many thousands of young South Africans.”
- Partners for Possibility – CEO and Founder Louise van Rhyn
“By pairing the experience and knowledge of successful business people with the passion of South Africa’s thriving entrepreneurial talent, NMM is transforming South Africa’s economy.”
- Small Enterprise Development Agency (SEDA)– Senior Manager: Programme Analysis, Development & Learning Andrew Bam “…through the use of the NMM platform greater social cohesion in South Africa can be achieved by allowing privileged individuals the opportunity to work with entrepreneurs from a disadvantaged background, creating empathy and the sharing of knowledge and experiences.”
- University of the Witwatersrand – Director: The Entrepreneurial Wayz Wits Enterprise Chimene Chetty “… Their work is critical to the ecosystem to support the development needs of entrepreneurs on their journey to learning, growing and ultimate success.”
FEEDBACK FROM SOME OF OUR MENTEES:
- “This mentoring partnership has impacted my business positively as my mentor [name] taught me new skills such as time management …. I have become more confident …. This has been a great experience and I was paired with a great mentor with a lot of knowledge”
- “Starting up, it is great to have someone who takes an interest in you and your business to … give you some direction. ….My mentor [Name] looked through every aspect of the business that I had already setup. He helped me position it better for my target market... He also helped align my strengths to what services I should be offering in my business.”
- “The value of having a mentor goes beyond professional development, it equally encompasses personal development. Having someone who understands the balance of providing career guidance, sharing knowledge on financial development and encourages critical thinking has been helpful and has encouraged me to apply a holistic approach ...”
- “Being in a mentoring partnership helped me take my passion and transform it into a business proposition with clear and measurable value. It gave me an insight on what the clients’ needs are and their perspective. …. I learnt how to properly differentiate between features and benefits…. Mentorship is key…”
- “I have to admit this was the first time I have worked with a mentor, but what a difference it made to how I think about going forward with my [type of] business. Out of the box thinking was new to me, but it has given me great tools to use for the future.”
- “My mentor helps me drive the business forward….. This partnership opened my eyes and made me see a different view in terms of rolling out the product…. My NMM mentor helped my business partner and I rethink the model, enabling us to redefine the business strategy... My mentor is so driven, he is always pushing my business partner and I to pick up speed.…. I am growing and my business is growing. Thank you NMM for making this possible.”
FEEDBACK FROM MENTORS:
- "This looks like great initiative"
- "This a great initiative, I'd love to join. Looking forward to this. Thanks for choosing me."
- "Fantastic initiative, I will register. Thank you for reaching out!"
- "I will have time to register as this is something I would love to participate in. Count me in please."
- "This is very good work you doing and I would like to be a part of it."
- "I will be happy to join in. I am passionate about mentorship as well."
- "I'm in, thanks"
- "Thank you and I am truly humbled. I will register accordingly and rely on you who have walked the path before me to succeed in this journey."
- What a great initiative. I would love to participate but one small snag. I live in Australia at the moment. If I can do it on Skype I would love to participate. Please let me know if this could work and I will register."
- "Thank you so much for inviting me. I will most certainly register."
- "I can see the mentorship is mainly for South Africa. I am in Ghana, West Africa. May I know if I need to submit my details?"
- "I have registered and look forward to making a contribution!" - listed property Group CEO
- "what a profound initiative - I am fully supportive of this, and will participate."
- "Thanks so much for inviting me to NMM. I've registered and provided all the information required and am looking forward to being if assistance to someone who can gain from my experience."