Xero is beautiful accounting software that millions of people love using to run their small business. Connect PayFast and Xero today to give your customers the ability to settle their accounts quickly and conveniently via Credit Card, Instant EFT, Bitcoin and more.
- Add a ‘Pay Now’ link to your invoices to offer customers a convenient way to settle their account
- Invoices settled via PayFast automatically reflect as paid in Xero
- Payment records are cleverly matched to your customer records in Xero
What is Xero?
Xero is easy to use online accounting software that’s designed specifically for small businesses.
- It’s all online, so you can work when and where you want to. Just login with your PC, Mac or mobile.
- Your bank statements are automatically imported and categorized, letting you see your cashflow in real-time.
- Invite your team and work together on financials. You can collaborate over your up-to-date numbers.
- Xero has all you need to run your business – including invoicing, paying bills, sales tax returns, reporting and much more.
Find out more or try Xero Accounting Software for free.
- Log in to your PayFast account and navigate to the settings page.
- Click on ‘Enable’ next to ‘Xero Integration’.
- You will be redirected to Xero.
- Authorise the application.
- You will be redirected back to your PayFast Xero settings page, with all the fields populate
- The dropdown options are populated by Xero, these are the accounts that transactions get mapped to in Xero.
- PayFast bank account– The account in Xero that all PayFast transactions get mapped to.
- Business bank account – The bank account that PayFast generates payouts to. The Xero system is updated when a payout is made, automating the bookkeeping process.
- PayFast fees account – PayFast fees charged on each transaction get mapped to this account.
- Update these settings
- Copy the Xero Pay Now URL under your Xero settings, then click on ‘Go to Xero account’.
- Click ‘Add Payment Services’ and Paste the URL into the Payment Services URL field.
- Now add the newly created PayFast payment option to your Xero Invoices.
- Click on ‘Settings’ add select ‘General Settings’, followed by ‘Invoice Settings’ (under Features)
- You can edit the existing theme (click on ‘Options’ and select ‘Edit’), or you can add a new branding theme or edit the ‘Standard’ theme.
- Click on ‘Payment Services’ and select ‘PayFast’
- Click ‘Save’
- NOTE: it is important to add the VAT to the invoice in order for it to work as expected.
- The below screenshot shows the similar settings required if you are using a custom branding template.
You are now ready to create Xero Invoices!
How does the integration work?
Our integration with XERO is all automatic. It will update Xero when a successful payment is received by PayFast via a Xero invoice (or if a payout from PayFast is made). However, it will not automatically sync or update payments made from other sources, such as a Pay Now button inserted on an email or invoice, or payments made via one of our other shopping cart plugins. The Xero invoice will then be marked as paid.
How do I test if the integration is working?
Once enabled, and all the instructions have been followed, you will be able to test the integration by creating a test invoice and emailing it to your email address.
Why can I not select the same account for both “PayFast Code” and “Payout Code”?
These two accounts perform different functions, and you can therefore not use the same account for both:
- The PayFast account is the account in Xero that all PayFast transactions get mapped to.
- The Payout account is the bank account that PayFast generates payouts to.
Why does “Get bank feeds” button not work for PayFast?
By setting up Xero according to the steps outlined, the integration will handle the bank feeds automatically from our side and update your Xero systems when there are successful payments received, that were actioned from Xero. Additionally, it will notify Xero when a payout from PayFast is made.
In essence, the “Get bank feeds” button is not operational for PayFast as a button for the user to press, but rather, PayFast will automatically handle the bank feeds.
Why are the transactions not showing in Xero?
If you are using another shopping cart system, or a Pay Now button, to receive payments, unfortunately the transactions will not automatically push through to Xero.
You will be able to download a CSV recon report from your Transaction History page, which can then be uploaded to your Xero account tool, via the “manually import a statement” link.
Any additional information you would like to add for the transactions, for example additional information on the order stored on your shopping cart, can be added to this CSV, and included along with the transaction data.
What’s the difference between a Xero invoice and a Pay Now button?
The Xero integration adds buttons to the invoices, but they aren’t exactly the same as the Pay Now buttons.
Having a Pay Now button on an invoice is therefore different/separate from the Xero integration, and unfortunately will not work automatically with the Xero integration. See question above “Why are the transactions not showing in Xero?” for more information on this.
Does the Xero integration support recurring billing?
Unfortunately, our integration with Xero does not support recurring billing.
Where can I find the PayFast fees? Will they be recorded on Xero?
All the fees will be automatically recorded between PayFast and Xero.
There are notes for the specific fee calculations, stored in your merchant dashboard on PayFast. You can view this on the ‘Account’ page. Scroll down to the ‘Fees’ table at the bottom. On the right hand side you can hover over the question mark, where an ‘Explanation’ modal will pop up.
- Xero advisors