The Amy Biehl Foundation is a non- profit organisation that specialises in programmes to develop and empower youth (5-18 years of age) in the challenged and vulnerable communities within the Western Cape. The programmes place a focus on the creative side of the children’s brain, and supplement the shortcomings of the educational system in the townships of South Africa. There are huge inadequacies in the schools which we work, creating a great need for our programmes. Reaching 2500 youngsters every day, our centres are having a very positive effect on the youth as well as the communities in which they live. The foundation provides educational and cultural activities that offer students healthy alternatives to all the negative influences within their society unlock their creative talent and create future emotionally well rounded individuals, leaders and entrepreneurs for South Africa.The Foundation seeks to actively respond to the needs and interest of the youth; parents and the communities by providing engaging and challenging activities that promote the development of academic, social and personal skills.
Our afterschool education programme includes a focus on
· Academic outcomes: higher school attendance, lower dropout indicators, better performance in schools, less disciplinary action, increase in literacy levels etc.
· Social/emotional outcomes: decreased behavioural problems, improved social and communication skills, improved relationships with other etc.
· Preventative Outcomes: Decrease in delinquency and violent behaviour, increased knowledge of safe sex and aspects such as HIV/AIDS, Avoidance of drug and alcohol use etc.
· Positive Citizenship Outcomes: Greening and environment and community development etc.
· Cultural and Arts Outcomes: Various Arts and Music Programmes providing for holistic development
· Sport Outcomes: Sport disciplines teaching aspects such as discipline, team work, goal setting, social skills
Together changing lives!