THE FEED A CHILD GOAL
The mission of Feed a Child is to provide a nourishing meal to children regardless of their cultural or ethical group who, through circumstances beyond their control have been or are found to be below the poverty line.
The Feed a Child team works closely with people whose passion it is to eradicate poverty and make a difference by striving to bring the Hope of Jesus to children in need as well as building a vision of a brighter future.
Realising the importance of nutrition in a child in the early developmental ages, Feed a Child therefore focuses on children to help them develop to their maximum potential through the feeding scheme. The vision of Feed a Child for the next 12 months is therefore to supply an excess of 2,5 million meals to the needy. A shorter term goal is to feed 7 000 children by January 2013.
Feed a Child is a Public Benefit Organisation that is registered to issue tax deductible (Section 18A) certificates in the following areas:
- Nutrition and Feeding
- Water and water projects
- Healthcare and Medical Services
- Education (including Skills Development)
It needs to be emphasized that Feed a Child does not only feed people – although this is very important initially – but also works towards getting impoverished areas self-sustainable by planting crops and vegetable gardens, putting water projects in place, educating and training people, bringing on board Health and wellness services and implementing various self-sustainable, income generating solutions.
BENEFITS OF THE FOOD FEED A CHILD PROVIDES
• Contains a balance of carbohydrates, protein, fat and fiber.
• Provides essential fatty acids required for normal brain development, skin health and immune defense.
• Provides electrolytes necessary for maintaining normal fluid balance and muscle function.
• Includes 25 essential vitamins and minerals.
• Provides Vitamin A, which is essential for normal sight and immune functions.
• Allows for easy addition of ingredients to fit every taste and culture.
• Is vegetarian and non-dairy.
• Only needs water to prepare (no cooking time involved)
• Available in 10 flavours
• Cost only R2.50 per meal
A SERVING OF INSTANT NUTRI PORRIDGE VS A SERVING OF CORN ME
Vitamin A 5-10 times more Vitamin A than Maize
Vitamin C Equivalent to 7 small onions
Vitamin D No Vitamin D in Maize
Zinc 20 times more Zinc than Maize
Iron & Copper 5 to 10 times more Iron and Copper than Maize
Potassium 10 times more Potassium than Maize
Iodine 20 times more Iodine than Maize
Calcium 50 times more Calcium than Maize
Magnesium 11 times more Magnesium than Maize
Phosphorous 14 times more Phosphorous than Maize
• Costs only R 2.50 per meal (75g) if packed in daily packs
• We also pack our food in 10kg bags typically used by school projects. In this case a meal of 75g (children above 6) cost R1.54 and a meal of 50g (children up to 6 years) cost only R1.02. (R205/10kg bag)
ALSO AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC
The Feed a Child team makes this nutritional food available to the public for the following reasons:
• It really does make a notable difference to the children receiving it at our projects and we want to make that same difference in all children’s lives.
• It is very cost effective, easy to prepare and save the school/project a lot of time and money and in the same time teach the children independency as they mix the food and water themselves in their cups.
• With every meal that your school/project buys from us a couple of sent goes towards our charity projects so that we can give more meals to those who don’t have.