IMAD’s objectives are to enable primary school learners:
· to have the opportunity to learn musical theory
· to learn a musical instrument and to develop their musical skills, and
· to acquire essential life skills in their quest to beat poverty.
The IMAD programme was founded in 2007, and teaches music to primary school learners at two schools - Eluxolweni Primary School in Khayelitsha and York Road Primary School in Lansdowne. The classes are taught by experienced musicians under George Werner’s direction, and consist of the following modules:
· Grade 4: Introduction – I lesson per week during school terms
· Grade 5, 6 and 7: Tuition on keyboards, guitar, bass guitar, drums, trumpet, trombone or saxophone – 1 per week during school terms.
In total, the IMAD programme will reach 60 Grade 4 to 6 learners in 2010.