Loeriehof Old Age Home takes care of 71 elderly and/or disabled people in Knysna in the Western Cape. We aim to, at all times, fight loneliness, boredom and helplessness by providing a well cared for home. We strive to provide the best possible service with limited funds, providing care with excellence and a happy home for all our residents. Our mission is to provide a loving environment that each can call “MY HOME”!
More than half of our residents have no income except the SASSA Old Age pension of R1520 per month. Of that half have no family to support them. Loeriehof is subsidised for less than 15% of our annual budget by the Department of Social Development. Our main source of income is the less than 50% of our residents and/or their families who can afford the unit cost. Any deficit, which is unfortunately annual, has to be augmented by fundraising.
The services offered by Loeriehof comprise three main focus areas – Physical Care; Spiritual Care and Emotional Care:
• 24 hour seven day a week care staff which includes a registered Professional Nurse.
• 3 dietician approved balanced meals
• Laundry and room cleaning service
• Access to hairdressers and the public library
• Monthly church services from various religious denominations
• Access to Ministering and Worship from a variety of congregations
• Mutual prayer and bible reading
• Encourage family participation – aging is a phase and not the end of a relationship
• Provide emotional support to residents and family as required
• Organise outings and social gatherings
We at Loeriehof know the truth of Betty Friedan’s words:
“Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunist and strength”
Thank you for your time in learning a bit more about our organisation. We hope that it encourages your support of the elderly, in particular the residents of Loeriehof Old Age Home
20 Graham Street
044 382 2721