In April 1893 Rector Meredith announced that a successful meeting had been held to establish a Union. It would be called The Old Greys' Union whose objectives would be as follows:
To keep Old Boys in touch with one another and the School.
To further the development and prosperity of the Institute.
To stimulate and encourage the present boys a connection with the past history of the Grey Institute