WE are Roodepoort Round Table 162, one of 17 Tables in Gauteng that fall under ARTSA in South Africa
The main aim of Round Table is to enjoy fellowship with people from all walks of life, as well as organising fund raising events and community activities.
Round Table Southern Africa is a non-political non-denominational association of young men between the ages of 18 and 40 embracing representatives of nearly every profession and occupation whose objects encompass the encouragement of high ethical standards the promotion of social intercourse and fellowship among young professional men, the quickening of individual interest in everything affecting the public welfare, and the promotion of understanding amongst peoples of different cultural, language and political background
1. The Gateway Organisation consisting of the Gateway Village and the Gateway school (www.gatewaysociety.co.za ) The Gateway Society is a sustainable and responsible Non-Profit Organisation, which strives to provide the highest level of personal care and growth opportunity to intellectually and physically, challenged persons so that they may lead happy, dignified and meaningful lives. Roodepoort 162 meets for our business meeting’s at one of their venues and we try and assist as much as possible regarding their wish list.
2. Matla a abana Westrand a voice against child abuse (www.matlaabana.co.za)
3. Roodepark School – A local school where we assist needy learners in various ways as identified by their head master on an ad hock basis
4. Cansa – Movember (www.za.movember.com)
During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces around the world. The aim of which is to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. At the end of November we have a best of competition between movembers and the money raised at the event is donated to Cansa
The organisations or projects we support donating our time and manpower are:
1. The sunflower foundation – Bandana day (www.sunflowerfund.org.za )
This is a national Round Table project where all Tablers durig Bandanna Day goes out to their local shopping centres and try and boost Bandana sales. The Sunflower Fund is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation based in Cape Town, South Africa, with a vision to give all South Africans diagnosed with leukaemia and other life-threatening blood disorders the chance of life, irrespective of their race and financial circumstances.
2. Firlands Salvation army orphanage – Firlands Fete (www.footprint.co.za/firlands.htm)
This project is typically a manpower project. We supply our services to man the Breakfast stall during the Firlands Orphange yearly Fete. This entails coooking, making and selling several breakfast food items. The stall typically makes every year R15000 to R19000 profit for the Orphanage.
3. Toy Run – Directing and parking Bikers!
This is a Round Table Gauteng Area combined event. All the Tables in Gauteng come together to “work” at the event organised by The Toy Run company. In return for our services each Table gets paid in a portion of the toys collected on the day. This inturn allows us to use these toys at our White Christmas event.
4. White Christmas – Christmas for about 1500 kids in our community.
This is a great Round Table Gauteng area project where all the Tablers come together to make this event possible. This project makes a big difference in the lives of approximately
1500 kids of the Claremont, Newlands and Mont Clare areas
The kids typically enjoy a day that includes jumping castles, face painting, a Magician act, Soccer display from players of the Moroka Swallows football team, Simba the Lion, a sound display from the Sopranos bike club, a Foam Party, Hot Dogs from the Berliner, Snacks from Snackworks, desert from Clover Danone, Coke Gig Rig, sound system & Cool drinks from ABI, Ford race car display from Ford ST car club, Supercars organized by Supercar Lifestyle, a parachutist from AerialFX, personal donations, a Christmas present courtesy of SA’s very own Toy Run all the while under the safety net that ER24 emergency medical care provided.
5. Coronation park – Clothes and building materials
6. Black Bra – Breast Cancer fund raiser. This is a Ladies circle fund raiser with Roodepoort 162 manning the bar and taking part in the show they deliver.
The main aim of bosom buddies is the promotion of a multi-disciplinary approach to breast cancer specifically via the establishment of a “BREAST CANCER CHAIN OF SURVIVAL” www.bosombuddies.org.za
The aim of the Reach for Recovery programme is to supply practical and emotional support to breast cancer patients and their families. www.reach4recovery.org.za
7. APD – Association of Persons with Disabilities www.apd.org.za